Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fried Chicken- Rachael Ray Mag

Everyone that knows me knows that I adore Rachael Ray! So in the latest issue (May 2010) there is an article about Southern Fried Chicken.  Now the article isn't massive so it doesn't have a full page spread but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.  I went to the website to see this recipe because it only had a web address in the mag and here it is! The pic looks so "delish" (per Rach) So I thought I'd share with you guys!


I haven't tried it yet but it's def on the agenda...If you try it first PLEASE let me know!


Smooches, Infinity


Southern Fried Chicken by Gerry Mims courtesy of Rachael Ray Mag


Lifelong Mississippian Gerry Mims and his family have eaten a lot of fried chicken. But surprisingly, he didn’t have a recipe his family could call its own. At least until recently, when his son Ben created this Worcestershire-spiked version that has a great kick to it. Rach's take? "Chicken cutlets were a staple of my young life, but I don’t think I made a deep-fried chicken until this past year, when I wrote a spicy curry fried chicken recipe. My husband has since become such a huge fan that I have written six different fried chicken recipes in the last six months, including my latest: fried chicken sliders."


4 Servings Prep 15 min plus Marinating  Cook 35 min

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
  • One 3- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons seasoned salt, such as Lawry’s
  • 1 tablespoon pepper
  •                                                        
  • 3 cups vegetable shortening

DIRECTIONS:



  1. In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Add the chicken and turn to coat; cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.


  2. Bring the marinated chicken to room temperature. In a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag or large paper bag, combine the flour, seasoned salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess. Working in 2 batches, place in the seasoned flour; shake until well coated. Place on a baking sheet and let sit for 10 minutes.


  3. Meanwhile, in a dutch oven, heat the vegetable shortening over medium-high heat until it registers 315° on a deep-fry thermometer. Add the chicken thighs and legs and cook, turning once, until golden and the internal temperature registers 160° on an instant-read thermometer, about 15 minutes; transfer to a rack to drain. Repeat with the breasts and wings.

1 comment:

  1. Made this last weekend for the whole family. Crispy on the outside, and super moist inside...Yes, it's DELISH!!

    ReplyDelete